Antimalware Service Executable and lagging is the worst problem you can face on your windows setup. Many windows users reported this problem.
Computer users want their systems to work with the optimal speed that makes them install the software to protect their PCs from viruses and malicious contents. But what do they experience? To know that, let’s check this out!
Windows 10 users get affected by the most frequently occurring trouble that is the slow performance of the system. Or high memory disk consumption or CPU usage. It happens at the time of system update. Many users reported that during the upgrading of windows from 8 to 10, they have experienced the high CPU usage issue. In fact, Windows latest version was released in haste to cater the users of Windows 8.1 pro. The upgrade for these users was complementary.
What is Antimalware service executable?
You must be overflowing with the questions regarding what is antimalware service executable and why are we treating it as a disease? What are the measures that Microsoft is adapting to fix it? Whereas its name tells that it acts as an anti towards the malicious contents.
Windows 10 PC possesses an immune system that fights with the viruses, Spamming, Malware, Adware, Trojans and stuff like that. It not only acts on a defensive mechanism but also plays a role in scanning or eradicating any threats found in the PC. This is the built-in feature of Windows 10 and it is also known as msmpeng.
When you get high CPU issues it retards the performance of your PC. There is no way to get rid of this problem easily. But Microsoft has got a way out plus we will advise you a few solutions to get it fixed.
We need to spot the causes first to get to the clue about sluggish behavior of 100 % disk usage:
- Microsoft introduced a software or antivirus program that’s called It is responsible to rescue the system from being affected by threats, viruses and malware. This remains active 24/7 without creating disturbances in your ongoing programs. But it possesses an option called “real-time protection “it’s quite heavy in size and occupies the major part of CPU memory. Real-time protection can be disabled manually. If your system is below 2010 you might experience lagging and hanging of system.
- Another feature of windows defender is deep scanning, It is also a full-time active program until you power off your pc. It keeps looking for the threats everywhere in your system. Unfortunately, if you have HDD storage rather than SDD you will see a sloth in place of your system. It will also consume high memory of CPU.
Out of various reasons we will discuss the ones which will aid us in resolving the issue. Let’s talk about the solutions now.
Fixes for “Antimalware Service Executable High CPU”:
- Fix High CPU –Disk usage
- A Thorough Scan of All Drives in Windows 10
- Turn Off Windows Defender
- Process Lasso
- Change Windows Defender’s schedule
1. Fix High CPU –Disk usage:
The first possibility told us that real-time protection decelerates your pc. Let’s find out!
Step 1: Go to the settings, click on update and security.
Step 2: Click On Windows Security, then click on Virus & threat protection.
Step 3: Turn off real-time protection and turn off cloud-delivered protection.
Step 4: Now Restart your PC and check if the problem is real-time or msmpeng.exe Antimalware executable service.
2. A Thorough Scan of All Drives in Windows 10:
A virus name Malware is designed to create a problem for your PC. It can be neglected by Microsoft defender and most of the users are not aware of this fact that malware can be untraceable by Microsoft Antivirus System. Malware can cause a devastating effect to your PC like the malware “chromium browser” enhance the RAM usage or you can say memory usage to slow down your machine without any reason.
It is recommended to go to safe mode and install another antivirus system for your Windows 10 PC. We would suggest you to use AVAST antivirus system. They offer a trial version for free.
It’s better to use the premium version of antivirus software but you can download Malwarebytes free program and Avast security program for free to clean your PC from malware and other types of viruses forever.
It is necessary to inform you that the free version of Avast is not recommended for detection of malware but Malwarebytes can find and clean malware. But there is one drawback for Malwarebytes that it cannot detect adware, virus and Trojans. So Avast is the better option.
3. Windows Defender is turned off:
Installing Windows 10 on older machines is not recommended because it is not compatible with all systems. The minimum requirement of windows 10 mentioned by Microsoft does not apply to all computers. Your computer hardware may not be compatible with the latest version of Windows 10.
Note: Once a week scanning of your system is not harmful to your computer efficiency.
Get rid of Windows defender and install Avast free antivirus and Malwarebytes free version, because it does not slow down your PC as compared to Windows Defender because Malwarebytes works smoothly.
Windows Defender consumes a lot of RAM and CPU, and it may not run your computer smoothly.
Avast Free Antivirus is developed by a well off the company and they have provided every single PC a free version and it is far better than other premium versions of antiviruses.
While on the other hand, Malwarebytes is best to detect malware as Avast doesn’t provide malware detection. Also, Malwarebytes is the best replacement for Avast CON.
Avast might slow down your PC about 10% to 15%. In comparison, Malwarebytes showed no decline in PC speed.
4. Process Lasso:
Last time when I faced the issue about high CPU and memory usage of my PC, I found a program named Process Lasso which I used almost every day.
What is Process Lasso?
The solution for antimalware service executable high disk usage and memory usage of your PC is a very advanced program that helps your computer to stay cool and enhance your PC’s performance. I haven’t seen any optimization program works as good as Process Lasso works.
We have been using Process Lasso in Windows for a very long time due to its efficient performance.
How does Process Lasso work?
- It comprises an algorithm that enables it to observe the running applications in the background.
- The Process Lasso examine real-time when a program tries to use processor and RAM more than its need.
- It uses the Microsoft default feature “program priority“ that enables it to predict about the programs that are useful or not useful for windows functioning. It has low, medium and high priorities and decides the priority of Microsoft services and functionality.
- An algorithm named “normal” is created by Process Lasso. It sets the memory for browsers, games, software that is trying to use more CPU memory than these are allowed to use.
- It remains in “normal” mode all the time to keep the CPU usage balanced. It also optimizes Windows 10 CPU performance and doesn’t allow any program to slow down.
- It looks complicated and advanced but it is easy to install and you may let it work on its default setting without making any edit.
- On default settings, it will keep your CPU optimize so just you have to let it work in the background.
- You will not receive any “not responding” issues anymore and it will enhance your computer speed.
Maybe it will not resolve the problem in Windows 10 because there occur many problems when it comes to high disk usage.
5. Windows defenders schedule change :
The second possibility told us that windows defender keep an eye on every file through scanning without interruption that can lower the pace of the system. It is not advisable to scan each file every time when the computer turns on.
For this Microsoft offers built-in feature called “Task scheduler” that allows you to deal with the Microsoft antivirus in a way you want.
Step 1. Type “task scheduler” in the search or Cortana bar and click on the first result.
Step 2. Click on “Task scheduler library “ > Microsoft > Windows folder and find Windows Defender folder by scrolling down the list.
Step 3. Click Windows Defender folder to open it.
Step 4. Now you will click on “Windows Defender Scheduled Scan” and wait for a few seconds to let it open.
Step 5. Now you have to deselect “run with highest privileges” option.
Step 6. Now click on “conditions” on the top menu you have to uncheck first four options mentioned in the screenshot then click “OK“ to complete the process.
After this, you are done and Windows Defender will run once in a while and PC will be saved from antimalware executable service high disk usage.
Why you face Anti malware service executable or msmpeng.exe issues?
People have been complaining about the slow performance of their PCs and are trying to overcome this issue but failed to get the solution.
If you are also facing this issue then you are at right place. Here in this article, I will share problem and solution both regarding the high CPU usage of your PC.
There are two most common reasons why msmpeng.exe file take high resources of your PC to perform.
It continuously scans your PC system and provide real-time protection and protect your PC from different malicious activities or cyber attack.
When it turned on it connect to the internet and scan your complete PC which causes huge usage of CPU and RAM.
These are the two causes which result in slowing down the performance of your PC. Now have a look at its solution.
Fixing of Antimalware service executable in windows 10
There are different methods to rectify 100 Disk Usage and msmpeng.exe file, we will discuss each in order
Change windows defender scheduling:
To protect your system from malicious agents, Windows defender and msmpeng.exe scan your PC which results in the use of high resources to fulfill this task.
Scheduling makes you reduce the files to be scanned by windows defender instead scanning the complete system all the time.
- Open the start menu, type “task scheduler” and select the top result.
- Maximize the “task scheduler library“ on the left sidebar. Search the destination path: Library/Microsoft/Windows/Windows Defender.
- When destination directory open, then double click on windows defender scheduled scan, which is located in the middle area.
- Now look for the conditions tab, uncheck all the options. All scheduled scan will be clear and no file will be scan by Windows Defender.
- Reschedule new scans to protect the systems. Remember this should be important files only that consume less memory.
- For this click on windows defender schedule scan select Trigger Tab and click on new scans.
- Now add only important files to be scanned and reduce the system usage also.
You can do the same in case of Cache maintenance, Windows defender cleanup and windows defender verification, under this Library/Microsoft/windows/windows defender directory.
[FIX] For window 8-10 Antimalware service executable 100 disk usage :
Windows operating system is responsible for its great performance and productivity. But this performance becomes a hassle when you are having issues that demands a very high CPU usage, Disk usage and memory usage. Windows defender is technically antimalware service to report purposes in Windows.
Introduction of Anti malware Service Executable 100% disk usage:
Antimalware Service executable is the process that runs in the background of windows defender services and it continuously runs on background. It is also known as Windows MsMpEng.exe.
The working of 100 High Disk Usage Windows 8-10 is to check your system for Malware while accessing files, Installation of Antivirus updates, evaluating system scans along with other multiple duties.
You might have noticed the TASK MANAGER of your system shows certain component of your PC that consumes exceptionally high resource for high CPU or RAM usage.
You should have antimalware service in your PC because without this your PC will be heaven for different dangerous malware attacks.
It is also important in the scenarios when you do not have any other antivirus system . because if you get rid of this your system will be unprotected.
My system was invaded by 100% disk usage bug in windows. Fortunately, I solved the problem and will share the details with you too.
This article will help in running real-time protection enabled for Windows Defender without affecting your disk usage and memory consumption issues.
Here you go!
1. Check Disk Usage:
If you feel that something is making the performance of your system slow, you should try to detect the cause. The first thing should be taken into consideration is your disk usage. You can easily check it by going to the Task Manager. It can be opened in two ways. One is press CTRL + ALT + DEL. You will open it directly. The second is, you have to click on the taskbar and select the option of the task manager. Now see the disk column and check out the percentage if it shows high values like 100% or 95 % and it persists more than a minute that means your system is affected. This condition implies that some application is constantly consuming the hard disk drive or solid-state disk.
2. Check Antivirus:
Now put a glance on anti-virus software and see whether it is updating or your PC is infected by Malware. You will get to know about this if there is no recent update that means it is affected. To confirm it run the full system scan to trace Malware. It is little time taking so be patient and close all your applications before running it.
3. Disable Windows Search:
It is believed that windows search is the cause disk use problem. To disable it right click on start and choose command prompt(admin) now type net.exe stop “Windows search”. Repeat the process of checking disk through task manager and see if things are working out. If it works then disable window search permanently. This can be done by pressing “Windows key + R” and enter “services.msc”. In the services window, you will see a window search. Double click to get the Windows search properties. Disable “Startup type” and then click Stop to abort the service and click OK to save changes.
4. Disable Superfetch:
Another possibility behind the deficiency in the performance of your system is superfetch. This is responsible to accelerate the launching of preloading apps. Repeat the process of opening of the command prompt (admin) and enter net.exe stop superfetch. Now, wait and check whether it worked or not. Run chkdsk.exe/f/r. Please close all your applications before restarting Windows.
4. Could it be Flash?
Flash is also a worth blaming factor in 100% disk usage besides its vulnerability in modern computing.
- Open Chrome browser then settings and find show advanced settings.
- Click on content settings and find flash.
- In flash settings select “Block sites from running Flash” and click done.
- Now restart the browser and check the task manager to see the performance.
5. Is it Skype?
Skype can also cause 100 disk usage bug in task manager, so you have to take immediate action to resolve this issue.
- Remove Skype from system tray first.
- Press Windows key + R and enter “C:\Program Files (x860\Skype\Phone\)”
- You will get a folder in the response where you can see skype.exe.
- Right click this file and open properties
- In the Security tab, go to “Edit“ and select “ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES”.
- Check the allow column checkbox next to “write” and click “apply” and then “ok” to save the settings.
6. Disable Diagnostic Tracking
The last possible cause is diagnostic tracking. You can get rid of this feature by stopping it from launching.
- Open command prompt (admin) from the start menu
- Input SC config “Diag track” start=disabled and follow this with sc stop “Diag track”.
- There is another way around, you can open system settings then notifications and actions and turn off the options of getting tips tricks and suggestions as you use Windows.
- Try this option and see what is the influence of these changes to your PC. If these solutions work or you have found a new solution, then let me know.
Solutions to fix the Antimalware executable issue:
We have discussed all possible aspects in details now it’s time to sum it up. Let’s start it one by one :
- Windows defender should be rescheduled
- Put the antimalware system to the exclusion list
- Mend the corrupt defender files
- Disable windows defender
- Disable windows search
- Disable Superfetch
- Check flash settings
- Skype settings
- Disable diagnostics tracking
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I stop Antimalware service executable?
- Press “Win+X” keys combination to open a system menu.
- Open System
- Now click on Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security from sidebar menu.
- Under the Protection areas section click and open Virus and threat protection
- In new prompt window, click and open Virus and threat protection settings.
- Turn off the Real-time protection.
Do I need antimalware service executable?
Antimalware service executable process uses large amount of disk resource or CPU. If so, then it is scanning your system for malware. Any antivirus program is made to do this job. It uses some system resources and check your computer and protect it from any virus or malware.
What is Antimalware Service Executable high memory usage?
The process uses high memory usually when Windows defender is running a full scan on your PC. This can be avoided when you scheduled the antivirus for scan for the time when your system is free from other tasks.
What is Antimalware Service executable in Task Manager?
It is a background process of Windows defender. It is also known as MsMpEng.exe. You can find this process under the Detail tab in Task Manager. This process is responsible for checking your system for threats and removes them from your PC.
What is MsMpEng EXE?
MsMpEng (MsMpEng.exe) is the process which is also called antimalware service executable. This process is used by Windows Defender. This belongs to the Windows Defender Service.
Why is antimalware service executable running high?
This process consumes high disk resources when Windows defender is running a full scan on your system. It can be restrict to use high disk usage by scheduling of Windows defender for the time when PC is running free of other disk space consuming tasks.
What happens if I end antimalware service executable?
It is high memory, memory leak or memory eating process. This could result in slowing down the system’s performance. You can’t end this process else you can disable it or you can just uninstall the Windows defender form your PC.
Is antimalware service executable important?
It is the most efficient process of Windows defender as it is a built-in feature of Windows OS and responsible to have check on the PC’s protection from any malware and threats.
Is Antimalware Service Executable a virus?
It is not a virus, instead it is a process which runs in background in Windows defender. It is responsible to do a whole check on your system for threats and viruses. Also it cleans your system from malware.
Is antimalware service executable necessary?
It is the process which is responsible to check your system for real time threats, malware and remove them from your system. Due to its efficient functionality, yes it is necessary to protect your PC from any outer threats.
The whole article describes the importance of antivirus software. How important it is to protect your PC from bugs and viruses. And suggests about some good software like Malwarebytes, Avast free antivirus system to keep your computer safe and steady at the same time. In this article, you came to know about the reasons and causes that can decelerate the system’s performance. It also discussed some process that can ramify your system performance along with details of software like it is free or paid with steps of operating it. Process Lasso is one of the processes among them. It also helps in running your system at a steady pace.
In short, this software is present in windows by default and it plays a role in the defensive mechanism of your PC. The defensive mechanism protects your computer from corrupt foreign elements like Malware, viruses and other cyber bugs.
This system basically performs uninterrupted scanning of all files all the time. Obviously, it’s a major task. To achieve its goal precisely this system consumes heavy memory usage. Due to which other applications start performing sluggishly.
This article proposed a list of culprit factors that can be checked and rescheduled to increase the efficiency of your machine. Go through the causes and the settings that can put an impact on your PC. Don’t worry about the method because this article tells you all from A to Z.